Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saving on Gifts




The key to saving in the gifts area is to be creative and think outside the box. Don't be fooled by mass media into thinking your kids or other gift recipients need the latest and greatest junk out there. For my own children I usually buy them used items for gifts. Used books and toys are just as fabulous to them as new ones so why not get them used and pay less? Garage sales and used book sales are wonderful places to Christmas shop.

Now before you all think that I must have a short gift recipient list to be able to keep this all under budget let me tell you that for Christmas our gift list includes 12 adults and 17 children including our own 5 kids plus filling Christmas stockings for 12 children and 7 adults. We also give birthday gifts to those same 17 children and 6 of the adults. Then there are also 7 Mother's Day gifts, 2 anniversary gifts, and various baby and other gifts to be given out throughout the year. My husband and I do not give each other gifts.

Just because you don't pay a lot for something doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. If I buy a $25 gift and only pay $5 I'm not buying something else too. It is still a $25 gift even if I only paid $5

I love to give gift baskets, as most of you know:). It's an easy way to make a pretty and expensive gift out of items you got free or very cheap. You can make any kind of basket you want to cater to the interests and likes of your recipient. If you are giving a gift to someone you don't know that well, hey, everyone uses toiletries or cleaning supplies :)

Some gift basket ideas:
Toiletry basket (if you go with a specific color theme or brand they look a little fancier)
Family Fun Night basket - Family games, art supplies, books, snacks
Winter Survival Basket - Medicines, sanitizer, hand soap, lotion, vitamins, chapstick
Vehicle kit - Travel games, hand wipes, bandaids, car wash tokens
Household basket - dish soap, cleaning supplies
Cooking basket - groceries, cookbooks, towels, utensils
Breakfast basket - cold cereal, instant oatmeal packs, juice, granola bars
Basket of Blessings - Absolutely anything you want

The possibilities are endless

I do something that you will probably also be shocked about. I buy items with no specific recipient in mind. I know, shock and horror, right? I have storage bins that I keep my gifts in during the year and a notebook where I have my lists of people written and categorized. Then as the year progresses when I buy something for someone specific I write it down on my list. I also buy items I find that would be good gifts for a variety of people, this works especially good for kids toys and books. Those items go on a separate page in the notebook in inventory. Then when something comes up that I need a gift for I can look at that page and find something. Or when it's getting closer to Christmas I can go through that list and assign presents to people.

Then I also usually have extra things for Operation Christmas Child, Angel Tree, and other various holiday donations we like to participate in without having to go out and spend extra. When the kids get invited to an unexpected birthday party or something I don't have to go out and buy a gift, I can just check my inventory list for something great.

This is my system. I'd love to hear about yours.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Job!!! Your baskets look great! I am inspired to get back on track! (As much as I can squeeze in that is;~)

    ReplyDelete