Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Random Tips

1. Use your dryer sheets multiple times. If you have trouble remembering to reuse them you can also cut your dryer sheets in halves or fourths (depending on what works for you) and use the smaller sheets once each. There is more then enough fabric softener on a sheet for multiple loads.

2. Take your own bags to stores that will discount $0.05 per bag. It adds up quickly and I've found my items get squished less in reusable bags. I hate squished bread!

3. Make a list!!!!!!! If you don't have a list you are going to forget something you need which will result in another trip to the store. You will also buy things you don't need because you can't remember if you need them or not. I keep a list on the refrigerator to write things down as I notice I need them and then transfer it to my master list on the computer. I like a typed list because I have terrible handwriting and I don't want to try to decipher it at the store. It also makes it easier to put the items on my list in order of how I walk through the store. I'm less likely to have to backtrack that way.

4. Reuse (clean) torn socks or stained clothes as rags for cleaning. You are throwing them out anyway, you might as well get one more use out of them :)

5. Empty Kleenex boxes are great for holding plastic bags or bread bags and for use as a small garbage for used tissues next to the bed (or sick child). They work great for holding items in the vehicle too.

6. Empty wipes containers are also invaluable. They are great for holding puzzle pieces and other small toys and work great for school and art supplies.

7. Rotate your stock. Make sure you are putting your new food purchases behind your older items. It is extremely irritating to have to throw out an expired item because it got lost in the shuffle.

8. Make double (or triple, or quadruple) when you cook something that will freeze. Making a double batch of soup or casserole, etc. usually doesn't dirty a lot more dishes or make a lot more work but will save you a lot of time when you just need to pull it out of the freezer the next time you want to eat it. Freezing soups and sauces in gallon freezer bags works really well. Lay them flat in the freezer when you initially freeze them. Then they are easy to stack or slide in anywhere. Make sure to label and date your items.

9. Use that bread bag to hold the sandwich you just made for your packed lunch before you throw it out. It was just holding the bread you are going to eat so it is obviously clean enough to hold your sandwich :)

10. Reuse paper. Print your coupons on the backside of whatever paper you can. I print a lot of mine on the back of my home school lesson plans. Colored paper works too if you have flyers or something that are only printed on one side. It doesn't matter what is printed on the back of your coupons. (make sure it isn't anything with personal information on it though)

1 comment: